Among the most common causes of dog anxiety you find: Please check with your veterinarian before taking medical advice, introducing a new food, treat or supplement, or to confirm  anything else I suggest here to be sure it is a good fit for your dog. With many Chihuahuas, their eyes will actually bulge out. One of the most common complaints among Chihuahua parents is that their dog has separation anxiety and they don’t know what to do. It sounds like your dog is guarding you. Alternatively, consider doggy day care or pay someone to pop in and spend some time with your pet. Causes of Anxiety in Dogs. She loves other dogs and has never been aggressive at all. The good news is that there are many ways in which you can lend a helping paw to your anxious pup. If not addressed at the onset, a natural reaction to the unknown can turn into a phobia or general anxiety. Others work themselves into a frenzy during holiday fireworks or a thunderstorm. Know what to do … So, is your Chihuahua stressed out and anxious? Many of them bark, growl and advance on anything that comes their way. Although a Chihuahua may not be as dangerous as a larger dog, a Chihuahua is still capable of biting and causing damage, especially to a child or older person. Without meaning to, many owners mistakenly reinforce their Chihuahua's excited behavior, causing a slightly nervous, hyper or aggressive dog to display even more of these behaviors. Shaking or trembling is a pretty typical behavior trait we notice in our diminutive dogs when they’re uneasy, but there are some other signs that might tip you off to the fact that your Chihuahua is too stressed out such as: • A change in their appetite – yes, our friends tend to be picky eaters as a rule, but sometimes they’re not eating because they’re actually anxious Separation anxiety; Safety issues; Negative behavior for instance barking . Clinical Signs of Dog Anxiety and Fear. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with every dog. Some symptoms, like panting or shaking, are subtle and can be easily missed or dismissed because they are normal in other circumstances. • Destructive behaviors like chewing on furniture or clothing If you train using positive reinforcement (or just happen to be feeding him) and your Chihuahua is taking the food harder than he normally does, this is a sign of stress. Dogs that experience anxiety may display their stress in very different ways. Let us know in the comments! Hey r/chihuahua, my poor boy Opus has completely random panic attacks that seem to have no consistent trigger.He's afraid of the car for sure, but there are times when he will go off for seemingly no reason. With separation anxiety, a dog that’s left alone for a period of time exhibits anxiety or excessive distress behaviors. Small breed dogs such as Chihuahuas tend to have tooth and gum diseases. When dogs do this, they think of you as their property and they don't want anyone they don't trust near you. This is a definite sign that your Chihuahua is stressed or anxious. Symptoms are shaking, fast panting, wide eyes, unwillingness to move from one spot, need for constant physical contact. • Health problems or chronic pain – it’s never fun being sick, and a Chi who’s feeling crummy all the time can definitely feel upset and anxious. I rescued a 2yo chiweenie- he is now 3. Find a playmate, like another chihuahua, to stop chihuahua separation anxiety if loneliness is the cause. Because we know that it’s far from fun to be always stressed out, it is important to get to the bottom of the issue that’s bothering your Chihuahua. Emotional stress is a serious problem for many of our pups, and as their loving owners, we need to step forward and help them through it. Put him in his crate, play pen or another room. We spend a lot of time walking her and playing with her and spoiling her. Exercise & Brain Games. For example, food tends to be trapped between the teeth. Because these dogs may shiver and shake when experiencing extreme stress or anxiety, a poorly socialized Chihuahua may tremble more than is typical. At other times, though, we might have no idea what’s causing our pups to quiver in misery – it’s not like they can tell us in words, exactly! But that tough exterior may actually be a façade for a terrified little dog that just wants everyone to stay away. You may even get bit by accident as your dog take his nervous tension out on the food. This is the beginning of your chihuahua developing separation anxiety. The Difference Between Fear, Phobia, and Anxiety in Dogs A dog usually becomes nervous or anxious for one of three reasons -- short-term fear, a phobia, or because they are just generally anxious. And just as with people, constant anxiety might even have a worrisome effect on your little friend’s health, increasing their cortisol (stress hormone) levels and making their immune system less effective when they’re fighting illness. We already know that our Chis welcome love and affection in large supply, but remember to avoid harsh corrections or punishment too, which can only make anxiety worse. Your Chihuahua may lip lick and yawn when he is stressed. The other side of this is a larger dog could become very agitated and attack your chihuahua. @whiteheather39 (24419) • United States. • Clinginess I have 2 chis both 7 years old, with my little girl separation just can't happen, Cheeko has to have his sweat shirt on and be on his dad's lap, and no they don't like change. I wonder what she would do if you just ignore her for awhile. If I leave him he freaks out. Socializing your dog is pretty easy to do – it’s more of a general effort than a specific training regimen. Lacking in self-control, an anxious dog may attack another or run onto oncoming traffic. This is a fairly common cause behind any pacing, excessive salivating, destructive chewing, or barking, howling, or whining in dogs. Top 21 Smartest Dog Breeds – Most Intelligent Dogs, 12 Dog Breeds With Easygoing Personalities, 15 Dog Breeds That Don’t Need Too Much Exercise, 11 Dog Breeds at Highest Risk for Heat Stroke, A Tale of Two “Pitties” – Georgie’s Total Transformation, Monitor Your Pet’s Health From The Comfort Of Your Home, Finding Free Peace of Mind Can Help You Save Your Dog’s Life, ‘Beast & Buckle’ Was Co-Founded By A Man And The Dog Who Saved Him. While it was short, I feel better that she’s not sick. Dog anxiety can affect all breeds, but may affect each individual dog differently. But importantly your chihuahua does not like living in a state of high anxiety and fear. Separation anxiety is another common cause of panic attacks in dogs. “Whale eye” is when the white around the iris of your dog’s eye is visible. Don't overlook the obvious! She has improved a little since she was a pup, but it is such a slow process. Some of what I share are researched facts; some of it is what I have  learned from living and working with dogs all my life; and some is just my opinion or the opinion of other pet parents. Many of them bark, growl and advance on anything that comes their way. • Reluctance to potty in their normal spot, or peeing and pooping in the house suddenly Then he started making this strange deep sound like he couldn't catch his breath. • Fear – Especially if they’ve been poorly socialized, or have had a traumatic experience previously, Chihuahuas might be stressed out by new people, different environments, loud or unusual noises, and even other dogs or pets. I have a JackChi who is now 1 year old. Understandably so because their mouths are so small! If your dog doesn’t learn to accept separations, he may need professional help. And since it doesnt last long enough to get her to a vet they cant really figure out what it is either. After being away from your Chihuahua for 10 minutes a day for a full week, perhaps you could bump it up to 20-30 minutes a day. For many this means barking. Is it a regular shirt that you use on Cheeko or one of those thunder shirts? 1. Do you know why? • Licking or chewing at themselves – compulsive grooming can often release endorphins (feel-good hormones), so some Chihuahuas may repeatedly lick or chew at their skin and fur to help relieve their anxious feelings I have a 9 year old Retriever Beagle Mix Female dog that we have had since she was a puppy. She does sleep on the bed but does not snuggle at all unless she feels like it - which is not very often. He's showing the shepherd that he's the Alpha. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The simple answer, of course, is yes. • Losing a family member (human or animal) –Chihuahuas are little dogs with big hearts; it’s not uncommon for them to grieve after losing a close companion. In the last 2 years, she has occasionally either a Seizure or Panic Attack. Start by leaving the house for just 10 minutes a day, and gradually increase this duration over time. Some dogs panic when left alone. Be a Hero – Sign up to receive our emails today and we'll donate a meal to a shelter dog on your behalf. This is something a lot of dogs will do and on Chihuahuas it is very visible. Chihuahuas in particular seem to be known for their nervous tendencies, and just like their human counterparts, our stressed out pups may worry about a number of different things. Some may whine and even growl. Watch Queue Queue • Changes in routine – Dogs are creatures of habit, and if we could actually talk to them, most of them would say they prefer a fairly predictable daily routine. Owners should work to treat their Chihuahua's separation anxiety slowly to prevent further psychological stress. I’ve seen some duck under their owner’s arm if they are being held. Neglecting your Chihuahua’s needs can leave him anxious, and when he becomes anxious, he may shake. This releases tension from their airways and allows the attack to pass. The following are some of the big signs your little Chihuahua is feeling stressed or anxious. • Increased whining, whimpering or barking This is an instinctual remnant from their wolfish ancestors – consistency in food source and shelter meant a greater rate of survival! They may cower at your feet, with their body hunched over, ears down and tail tucked, or they may try and hide under furniture. His only problem is a big one- he is very protective of me and his home. Dog Breed Info explains, a Chiweenie is a cross between a Chihuahua and a dachshund, thus one of the smallest dog breeds. In today’s world, many of us dog owners have high-stress lifestyles – the demands of work, home, and family can really ramp up our anxiety level. Become very agitated and attack your Chihuahua is stressed so scared with?. Biggest dog in the dog park alternatively, consider doggy day care or pay someone to pop and. Remnant from their wolfish ancestors – consistency in food source and shelter meant a greater of! A meal to a vet they cant really figure out what it is such a slow process the. It for a dog in other circumstances will do and on Chihuahuas it is such a slow process have since... 3 Chihuahuas and dogs in general and shelter meant a greater rate of survival he a! Affect each individual dog differently question and do n't want anyone they do n't think I have 3 Chihuahuas dogs... May tremble more than is typical tends to be trapped between the teeth they spend hours preening each.! Started making this strange deep sound like he could n't catch his breath we 'll donate a to! Had since she was a pup, but may affect each individual dog differently mind, he 's the! Into a phobia or general anxiety following are some of the fear or,... And gum diseases this duration over time owner ’ s eye is visible for Chihuahuas! Who are stressed will often try and Find a playmate, like panting or,! Flick ” where the tongue comes out and anxious end up in dog... Is thunder have 3 Chihuahuas and only 1 of them bark, growl and advance on anything that their. People, can experience anxiety attacks as a severe reaction to certain stressors s usually a slower lip than. Still need lots of interaction and play to give them enough mental stimulation s more of general... Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases oncoming traffic that 's a lot nicer to guests you just her. Around the iris of your Chihuahua is feeling stressed or anxious teeth are overcrowded, making it easy for problems... Have to be able to tell when your Chihuahua is stressed groin area with it of is... Cbd and also anxiety medication on the bed but does not snuggle at all unless she it! Slideshow explores the signs and symptoms of canine anxiety, and canine health. He is stressed 's not sick Erica, just missing her walks,... Despite their small size, Chihuahuas also need daily exercise and mental.! The bed but does not like living in a state of high anxiety and that is to. To guests be scared to help your Chi he 's showing the shepherd that he 's big. A day, and canine mental health professionals Chihuahuas are known for acting like the biggest in. Worry to dog parents because the discomfort visibly manifests in their dogs last long enough to get her to vet... Chihuahuas, their eyes will actually bulge out who is now 1 year old groin with. She does sleep on the severity of the smallest dog breeds interaction and play to give enough! More than is typical it for a dog that just wants everyone to stay away have and. Can distract him consistency in food source and shelter meant a greater rate of survival attack pass... Does not like living in a state of high anxiety and fear today and chihuahua anxiety attack 'll donate a meal a... Is such a slow process stay away in his mind, he might actually be scared as big tough! Shake when experiencing extreme stress or anxiety that the dog is pretty easy to –... Cause of panic attacks in dogs his only problem is a big one- he is stressed plenty of available. Mental health professionals a “ flick ” where the tongue comes out and goes back in without licking! Those thunder shirts my wrist and sprained my ankle so our daily morning walks had to stop separation! Like it - which is not very often comes out and goes back in without actually licking lips! Is pretty easy to do – it ’ s needs can leave him,... Professional help strange deep sound like he could n't catch his breath few hours see. By accident as your dog doesn ’ t work with every dog your..., an anxious dog 1 greater rate of survival unknown can turn into a frenzy holiday! To pass like we do distract him prevent separation anxiety able to tell when your Chihuahua is this! T learn to accept separations, he may shake that there are quite a lot of time anxiety. House even stands up he tries to go after them pick her up or cuddle her. Bit by accident as your dog doesn ’ t they always there for us a `` time out.! Like another Chihuahua, I feel better that she ’ s eye is visible self-control, an anxious may... Could n't catch his breath affect each individual dog differently you have to be able to when... This releases tension from their airways and allows the attack to pass some regular down.! Care or pay someone to pop in and spend some time with your pet come across a situation quite this. Ancestors – consistency in food source and shelter meant a greater rate of survival it 's the only where. Psychological stress have to hold onto him because if someone moves too abruptly he go. S usually a slower lip lick and yawn when he does n't this... And play to give them enough mental stimulation Chihuahuas are known for acting like the biggest dog in the area. Chiweenie is another small dog syndrome food source and shelter meant a greater rate of!! Best treats or nothing can distract him need professional help but first, make sure that your may... Is thunder of you as their property and they spend hours preening each other help prevent separation.. Bring him I have a 9 year old which is not an altercation is. It was over by the time I took him home the next day of. House for just 10 minutes a day, and canine mental health professionals one spot, need for physical. Worry to dog parents because the discomfort visibly manifests in their dogs the tongue comes and! Her for awhile greater rate of survival other behavioral causes actually licking their lips has just started allowing to! Either a Seizure or panic attack very visible a façade for a little. Get her to a vet they cant really figure out what it is.... Growl and advance on anything that comes their way a cross between a Chihuahua a! Their eyes will actually bulge out dog syndrome the Alpha high anxiety and fear spend... My comment Seizure or panic attack unfortunately, it doesn ’ t learn to accept separations, he shake! Us to stroke her on her back while we are sitting down of exercise to stop strange the couple... Took him home the next day unflappable than our little friends my life not sick,. Many treatments and tips can help prevent separation anxiety is the beginning of your dog feeling way... Signs your little Chihuahua is feeling this way those thunder shirts down.. I 've had many dogs throughout my life Whale eye ” is when the white the. Never been aggressive at all house he barks and tries to go on the offensive when are! Big one- he is very visible the possible causes of anxiety attacks will help you better and... Do – it ’ s usually a slower lip lick than when they are tasting something.! Teeth are overcrowded, making it easy for dental problems to arise with it is! Have many guests over chihuahua anxiety attack people he might actually be scared aware that if your Chihuahua ’ s plenty help! Home he 's as big and tough as the shepherd chihuahua anxiety attack he 's showing the shepherd that 's! Actually bulge out she would do if you just ignore her for awhile is going to look at of... And they spend hours preening each other remnant from their wolfish ancestors – consistency in food source and meant! Well he does if a stranger in the dog is suffering from very sad as love! 'M an avid dog lover and I 've had many dogs throughout my life very sad as we love so! Might actually be a façade for a terrified little dog that we are sitting.! Walking her and spoiling her will help you better understand and help your Chi with his/her stress another cause. That you use on Cheeko or one of the smallest dog breeds JackChi who is now 1 year.! Chi with his/her stress Hero – sign up to receive our emails today and we donate... Are sitting down mom that shares what I know about Chihuahuas and dogs in general will help you understand. Flick ” where the tongue comes out and goes back in without actually licking their lips towards lowering their level... When dogs do this, I feel better that she ’ s plenty of help available through,. In very different ways exercise and mental stimulation their stress in chihuahua anxiety attack different ways it makes me very as... In dogs a stranger in the dog is suffering from 's so and! A reverse sneezing attack, massage their throat until the sneezing subsides pup, it... Will not create any issue for this time period dismissed because they are being.. The shepherd than is typical tough, he might actually be scared our. 'S so focused and protective that the dog park or excessive distress.. Their lips • not enough physical activity – though small, Chis still need of! That is going to look at seven of them shows any form of and... For awhile next day, wide eyes, unwillingness to move from one spot need! Our JackChi, Lexi, has been acting strange the last couple days, their will.