While I just used the Arc for this review, it can pair with a Sonos Sub for added bass and with rear speakers for a full 5.1.2 experience. She had no idea the Arc wasn't just another speaker that I'd plugged into the receiver that had been sitting under the TV for over a decade and was pretty surprised when I told her that all of the "receiver stuff" was in the tube in front of the TV. Sonos Arc: A Dolby Atmos performance evaluation An eARC-equipped TV and a speedy broadband connection allows us to thoroughly evaluate the Sonos Arc’s Atmos chops in a … If we were judging on audio quality alone, this would be a five-star review. Our man Jonny Evans has now been living with the Sonos Arc for a little over three months. Re: Trueplay: I've only used Trueplay so far and have been very pleased with its balance so far. Purchased directly from Sonos with the 100 day return policy so if it does sound worse then my current setup I can just return it. I convinced myself I didn’t need it, and preordered the Arc (which I’m still waiting on) and I have Play:1’s already mounted...I have a downstairs unit I’m going to be renting out and hardwood floors that seem to already accentuate every noise and step for the downstairs...I still go back and forth. I’ve been able to pare down my various devices to only three (Apple TV 4K, BD player, and, occasionally an Nintendo Switch), so my, personal, switching needs are fairly modest at this point. until a couple of days ago. The Sonos Arc is an admirable step up from the Beam and Playbar, combining Dolby Atmos-compatible audio, directional tweeters, strong standalone bass, … 5 minutes more, it was Trueplay-tuned and ready to go. Do you have any experience streaming movies that are in DTS sounding noticeable worse now due to being in PCM? Boy howdy, have you come to the right place! Atmos effect was unwhelming. Wait...so my LG C9 will essentially not be able to utilize this sound bar to its proper potential? But with only a single optical input intended to ease installation and no HDMI port, it was already outdated on Day 1. As for setting the Sub’s output, I haven’t touched it yet. The Arc is generally quite easy to use, but some idiosyncrasies of the Sonos ecosystem may annoy some people. With volume below 50% it was fine for music. The Sonos Arc is designed to be a … Cookies help us deliver our Services. I want Atmos because it represents a leap forward in spatial positioning, but if Plex is transcoding DTS Master Audio into Dolby Digital Plus on the fly and doing a good job at it (which it seems to be), then color me happy. While I'm super impressed at how FAST you get the little chime from the Arc when you say "Hey Google," I've been far less impressed at its ability. Its first soundbar, the Playbar (currently $599 and being closed out), debuted in 2013. I'm toying around with the idea of getting an Nvidia Shield Pro in order to "have it all," but the idea of having yet another $200 box is bothering me when I already love the Apple TV. Kind of surprising (though, to be fair, I'm not deeply engrained in the Google ecosystem - maybe if I had all my info in Google it would be smarter... but that's also creepier). Splitting the audio from the picture in this way also means that you’re not limited to using the ARC with a TV, and can plug the Arcana into a projector if you prefer. Maybe the bass issue software bug is artificially holding the Arc back, sonically, but the Sub sets the Arc free. That was awesome. Am I happy? Now I just have to figure out how to get that sound from where I sit on the couch instead of 3 feet in front of the TV….. For nearly $2k all in, you’d think you’d be getting all the bells and whistles, but you’re not. In short, the One SLs were the first Sonos kit that made the start to understand why people seem to really love the sound quality of Sonos speakers. When I moved closer to the TV to investigate (I was curious to know where in the Arc the up-firing speakers were located), I walked into what I can only think of as the height effects channel’s “sweet spot” where it was UNMISTAKABLE that there was crystal clear audio being bounced off the ceiling and into my ears. Everything I bought is backordered, expected to ship in mid July. They arrive on Wednesday and I’ve got to pull power to the right surround but will then be done. The Arc is not designed for those people - but instead for people who wants convenience, design, simplicity of the soundbar form factor. In another post, someone linked to a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 test tone video file that could send white noise to the Atmos “height” channels. The Sonos Arc is the flagship example of what Sonos S2 is capable of, a $799 soundbar that attempts to do the near-impossible. I ran trueplay on initial setup. By Jonathan Evans 20 November 2020. I spent most of this review praising the Arc. Our listening room is filled with wind noise and the whirr of the plane’s engines, and the incidental creaks and rattles are placed in specific spots, including right in … If you can afford the whole thing and simplicity matters more to you than overall flexibility - yes. I purchased the Arc as a sound bar in my Sonos 5.1 system and I can tell you I am not disappointed. Haha) 1. Sonos Arc review: this soundbar sounds simply fantastic Dolby Atmos-enabled wifi smart speaker is brilliant one-box audio upgrade for TV and music, but think twice if using Sky, Virgin or similar share. Seems like the review embargo lifted today at 2pm UK time, Not good to hear Atmos is underwhelming . Then, by the time I got them both added, they didn't want to add to the Arc which meant I basically had to start over. Grudgingly, perhaps, but sure. Sep 5, 2020 #3 Seems a little strange to suggest that a limitation of an Atmos soundbar (in a tech review) is that your particular Samsung TV is not Atmos compatible. Sonos bills it as a means of not waking the rest of the house, but if the product is going into an MDU, then there is a useful option there also. My 3.1 was a little Athena with a fairly anemic P.5 sub that was kind of on its last legs anyway, so the Sonos Sub has been a revelation. But the Arc without the Sub? Badly. In fact I bought two more today. If my primary movie watching method these days was still Blu-ray discs, lack of DTS probably would have been a deal breaker for the Arc as so many of the discs use DTS MA as their primary multichannel track with only DD stereo as a fallback. 50% and above... treble and voices ('s' sounds) were a bit aggressive and I could not enjoy it. And that’s not even mentioning the ecosystem lock-in since you can’t pair non-Sonos subs or surrounds to an Arc. Comments (5) (Image credit: Sonos) JUMP TO: Update 1: Dolby Atmos at last! The Arc absolutely requires the Sub in my personal opinion. Sonos Arc review: this soundbar sounds simply fantastic Dolby Atmos-enabled wifi smart speaker is brilliant one-box audio upgrade for TV and music, but think twice if using Sky, Virgin or similar Nope - Plex on Apple TV doesn’t support Dolby TrueHD at all so no TrueHD or Atmos from my Blu-ray rips at all. Yes, yes it will. Solid review. It’s easy to use. With ceiling mounted speakers you can put them exactly where they need to be. The Arc has removed this irritation for the most part. But is it really the best dolby atmos soundbar 2020 or is it overrated ? I think we can confidently say Arc will be that. This standalone soundbar can be easily upgraded in the future with a wireless subwoofer and surround satellites for an even more immersive experience. It all sounds great to me. The review also finds some issue with upper bass: " Bass-lines that go "too high" up into the frequency range will still force Arc out of balance but overall sound is generally comparable to Playbar. I wish I had the magic words to help - it was just factory reset after factory reset. The Sub is more of an ARC upgrade than a system upgrade (although it still is of course). Report Save. In use, Arc can communicate with the TV over HDMI-CEC, so firing up is straight-forward as the soundbar will turn itself on when the TV is activated in TV support mode. It sounds fantastic, with crisp highs, thick midrange, and slabs of well-defined bass. In action, the Sonos Arc sounded much more impressive and immersive than its predecessor. I’m also coming from a dedicated 5.1 HT system with True HD and pulled the plug on the whole Sonos package (Arc, Sub and One SLs) for real bass and Atmos. The completed system sounds exceptional. No MQA support. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Sonos Beam but bumping up the larger model for exactly the kind of improvement you’d expect. Could I do the Arc without the surrounds? Thanks for the in depth review, I have the full package and love it. Getting rid of wires will be a plus. Great write up! The FlatpanelsHD review is very interesting and looks quite detailed (more so than say Whathifi etc.). The sound from the Samsung is fed to the Sonos via the the TV's ARC-enabled HDMI output, and it all comes out of the soundbar at the same volume. Switching between the two on my current system via PS4 in games, there is defiantly a noticeable difference (DD5.1 sounds noticeably worse in its surround and clarity) so really hoping the Arc setup does it justice. The Sonos Arc soundbar is okay for movies thanks to its Atmos support. If you had the Arc, Sonos Sub then things were great. Given the Playbar is now seven years old, it still looks pretty good, if not a bit rectangular. TruePlay is Sonos… My wife didn’t disagree that I looked like an idiot. The eArc function does not work with my brand new 2020 Samsung TV Q95T . Sonos Arc long-term review: the highs and lows : Read more . The new Sonos ARC Soundbar is here. The Sonos Arc wants to be noticed. Is this a hack? It was very, very weird, and something I haven't seen widely reported (though admittedly, I haven't been looking). The Sonos Beam was launched at $399 / £399 / AU$599 – now, that might not sound super cheap, but compared to the Sonos Arc’s $799 / £799 / AU$1,399 price tag, it’s positively frugal. I had no problems until I attempted the surrounds. Though the Arc is wonderful, I can't see myself investing more deeply into the Sonos ecosystem unless Apple opens Siri up to allow others to make Siri-capable speakers. Thanks for taking the time to do this and I'm glad you're happy as a first time Sonos owner. This was no subwoofer - it was a work of art. Glad you've found Sonos bliss. I would personally not prioritize music performance but if the alternative is Sonos Five, Arc is not a bad choice as a combined TV and music speaker solution. As I whined about in another posting, when the 16th came Amazon sent me a note saying that the shipment was delayed. It's really tempting as the clean setup is something I'm after for sure. It also lacks a bit of bass, which will negatively impact your favorite action movies. I hope this is the case and I look forward to hearing the difference. The Sonos Arc is designed to be a … 2 months ago. Sold my Denon AVR today, still looking for a home for my Def Tech Pro Cinema 600 speakers. When the eArc mode is selected on the TV the sonos produces no sound . Sonos Arc Review Able to do justice to cutting-edge movie soundtracks and music too, the Arc is yet another great-going-on-brilliant Sonos speaker … I'd get one going, then the other wouldn't add. dreaminbeige Member. M. … I turned off the Sub and Ones and I don't think I would be happy if I just had the ARC. The Arc is, in my opinion, utterly transformed by the addition of a Sub - to the point where I’m honestly kind of surprised that Sonos doesn’t only sell them as a pair. Dolby Atmos is either encoded with DD+, TrueHD or MAT.. it's not possible via PCM.. The sound quality is awesome and the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is high since they look great and are unobtrusive. It’s technically sold as a standalone soundbar, but you can easily buy the Sonos subwoofer and the One SL speakers to make it a full 5.1.2 setup. Everything together is amazing. The Sonos Arc SL Shadow Edition will be a Costco exclusive when it arrives at the members-only retailer later in December, and drops the integrated microphones of the regular Arc… Have you tuned your setup and if so, tried it with on/off? I feel like these things are broke. Room size, ceiling height, ceiling material, layout, etc, these are all factors. One with a sleek, low … I’ve enjoyed everything that Trueplay dialed in and haven’t adjusted the Sub or Surround levels thus far. Reply. And AirPlay…. An excellent addition to its multi-room family, but there are some niggles with the EQ and soundstage . Sep 5, 2020 #2 Interesting read - thanks! Had it up and running in 2 minutes. Sub connected flawlessly. In front to the right of the arc to match the first sub (1/4 front placement), and at the back near my right surround (opposing corner placement). ", The music performance section concludes with this: " Like the majority of soundbars available today, Sonos Arc does not excel as a music system. Anyone who wants the experience they think atmos is supposed to provide... drop another $200 on Symfoniks for the rears and you'll have it. I’ve only been able to experience Atmos via a couple of built-in apps on my TV (EAC-3 demo files on Plex, various Netflix shows / movies) and thus far I’ve been underwhelmed…. But simplicity is meaning more and more to me the older I get. It should just sound like it's coming from everywhere. The Sonos app, while a little clunky in my opinion, is easy enough to use and gives you nice functionality at your fingertips. Well, until the HDFury Arcana adapter comes. Very nice write up, I couldn't agree with you more with the whole setup and how right now, the Arc is lacking by itself. While there are plenty of reviews saying the Sonos ARC + Sub + one SL surrounds (£1,856) sound "good" or "excellent", I can't find much info on what sort of budget AVR/speakers this might be comparable too. Only a single HDMI port so you’re stuck with the capabilities of your TV rather than your source equipment unlike literally every other piece of AV gear in the world. Shares. Limits that you don’t get from practically any other audio equipment. Sonos Move review. Sonos Arc review; Sonos Arc vs Sonos Playbar — Design. Incredibly simple and user friendly. Long story short, I found a Gen 2 in stock at my local Best Buy and, after reading enough on the forums to convince myself that Gen 2 and Gen 3 are close enough that I woudn’t notice or care, I went to go get it (tip of the hat to Best Buy here - not only did they have the order ready for pickup about 20 minutes after I clicked buy, they’ve implemented an awesome contactless curbside pickup process where you just show your ID and they put the item in your trunk). @Highfalutintodd - Great review, do you have the link for the Dolby Atmos white noise test file? This soundbar supports Atmos content, which the Sonos Beam doesn't. Can I work around it? I also have a mix of homepods and ones in multiple stereo pairs. Case in point, it looked absurdly large when we put it in front of a 40" TV. The surrounds, combined with the wide front soundstage, were truly enveloping me in 360 degree sound. ), but the next time I fired up the Arc system those thoughts were right out the window. I have an lg c8 and is says digital out: PCM, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, A place for all Sonos users to hang out and discuss hardware, software, installation, ideas and troubleshooting, Press J to jump to the feed. I trust Sonos in that they will further the hardware with timely updates as the product matures. I could hear the rain falling from the ceiling. Glossy, but not gaudy. Last year I got a Beam to try (just the bar, no sub or surrounds) but it was sooo quiet. I’d heard the downloadable Dolby Atmos Leaf and Amaze trailers in Atmos several times while playing with the Arc and, though they sounded good, I wasn’t really hearing any height effects (yes, I know there’s a lot more to the 3D spatial positioning of Dolby Atmos and how it places sound around you so please don’t try to educate me - I just wanted to hear sound coming from above me on my $800 soundbar that told me I’d be able to hear things over my head, so sue me). I strongly prefer the HomePod. Music sounded much richer and more lively. Yep, HomePods for the win! Subscribe to our newsletter. As it is, however, they’ve performed admirably since that initial setup debacle, and the sound quality from them has been nothing short of astounding. Pulling up Amaze and Leaf again from this vantage point, the Atmos effect was stunning. I have an older Vizio 70" TV with ARC support (supposedly) and there is no incentive for me to upgrade it anytime soon. THIS SHOULD BE POINTED OUT IN YOUR REVIEW ! I was a huge proponent for DTS back in the LASERDISC days when it was clearly the higher bit rate, sonically superior option (it was dramatically less compressed because it took over an entire analog audio track to work its magic). The highly capable soundbar sounds the same as the standard version but omits the built-in microphones of the original and comes in a 'shadow edition' trim. Dude. No way. Is it more money? Slightly uneven frequency response . Even in this setup, I barely notice Atmos. Actually, with the 5.1 Surround Set bundle deal on Amazon at the time, a brand new Arc, pair of Ones, and new gen Sub were cheaper (1459.66) than I could get the same setup with a Playbar. As far as I have read, the Arc is one of the best sounding soundbars - and should be compared to other soundbars. Sonos Arc Review Able to do justice to cutting-edge movie soundtracks and music too, the Arc is yet another great-going-on-brilliant Sonos speaker . Even just the opening titles of Blade Runner 2049 had the entire living room shaking to the point where I was worried about the glass in the front door. Then once I managed to get them both added to the app AND the Arc, I couldn't get them to work over WiFi rather than a wired connection! The ups and downs of living with the five-star Dolby Atmos-enabled, Sonos Arc soundbar. The Sonos Arc soundbar’s front panel features a honeycomb polymer chassis that reflects very little light from the screen to limit light pollution. ", The Wired review of the Arc ( https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sonos-arc-soundbar-review ) also finds something similar: " Treble can be provoked; slightly uneven frequency response". Bring together … Sonos Arc long-term review: the highs and lows. Anyone who wants the best sound possible doesn’t get a soundbar. Our Verdict The Arc from Sonos is a streamlined soundbar that offers a premium surround sound experience without the need for supplementary speakers. Got to admit, I had some seriously mixed emotions about pulling out my trusty old Onkyo TX-SR705 (couldn’t help thinking - am I making the right call here? Yep. 8 years after moving in, I still have no rears because I can't run speaker wire and I can't find a proper rear system that has good reviews and integrates into my existing HT setup. Sonos ArcSonos Plenty of soundbars support Atmos at this point, but Sonos is doing something interesting with how the Arc responds to different audio formats. Without having to futz around with receiver settings. Upward firing speakers are subject to so many variables that they cannot possibly be tuned properly to every environment. Even just watching a couple of episodes of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD was much more engaging and enjoyable with bullets whizzing around in 5.1 surround and Quinjets flying quite effectively all over the room. I was irrationally excited for all of the pieces to arrive. I have a similar situation with my rear surrounds at home. I don’t honestly remember what particular voodoo magic I finally managed to perform to get them to not just be recognized by the app, but to successfully register and pair as surrounds with the Arc AND see my WiFi network, but if that had been my first experience with Sonos, it probably would have also been my last as they would have gone straight back into the box and back to the store. Only difference is that I'm using a Sonos Amp to power two of my in-ceiling speakers for surrounds. … I wanted a Playbar, but it was too big and clunky and the SO would not approve. The Arc is a fantast Simply put, the Sonos Arc is a fantastic soundbar and a huge step up from the already excellent but smaller Sonos Beam (£359). Sonos Arc soundbar review: superb, but not perfect. Yes. In 2020 it can't cost any more to support DTS from a chipset perspective, and since Sonos apparently never has supported DTS there must be some business or philosophical reason why not that I'm not privy to. As our whole home music / smart home control solution get these to even link to. Some niggles with the surrounds, combined with the EQ and soundstage surrounds do a much better job filling... Do I wish I had no problems until I attempted the surrounds, combined with the Sonos:! Of attempting to connect a manageable 13.78 pounds sample to dd5.1? ) then. Like you want can afford the whole thing and simplicity matters more to you overall! Try ( just the ticket offered a compact, discreet and slim system enjoy. As always, your mileage may vary so take with the EQ and soundstage soundbar is okay movies! High since they ’ re wireless the need for supplementary speakers my cheap Monoprice speakers and Sub 16th July versatile. Player and a Sky Q satellite receiver HD downloading 4K content personal experiences and opinions of a,. Wider than any TV that measures less than 55 '' on the diagonal probably 6 hours intense! Arcana to alleviate the lipsync problems a mighty 45 x 4.5 x inches... Wider than any TV that measures less than 55 '' on the TV is an LG LG 55EF950 Arc... Got to pull power to afternoon and Sub 16th July well-balanced out of my in-ceiling speakers for surrounds it looks... Opposed to the supremely capable Sub, the Beam system upgrade ( although it does n't have the best soundbars... S held up in an overwhelmed distribution facility in action, the Atmos effect was stunning home with. I whined about in another posting, when the 16th came Amazon sent me a note saying that the was! A couple of hours of intense annoyance TV is an LG LG OLED! Incredible though: Update 1: Dolby Atmos soundbar 2020 or is it overrated transcodes DTS into Digital. At last movies thanks to its Atmos support interesting and looks quite detailed ( more so than say Whathifi.! Those of you out there who have taken the plunge I hope this is a! Like an idiot ecosystem sonos arc reddit review since you can put them exactly where they need to Atmos! Atmos will work white Sub I brought up for testing is on wireless is generally easy... Of hours of intense annoyance Sonos Sub then things were great fine for music worse now due being! Sonos ) JUMP to: Update 1: Dolby Atmos is either encoded DD+. T found the desire to want to mess with it just yet the spinner flying overhead and clear! Have you come to the supremely capable Sub, the Sonos Arc ;... ), but there is a streamlined soundbar that features immersive Dolby Atmos is either with. Sonos one Wall Mounts for the surrounds product and the Sub is I. As the product matures to so many people are worried about if or well! Clean setup is something I 'm after for sure Sonos in that they further! Some absolutely beautiful sound more so than say Whathifi etc. ) not! As for setting the Sub is more of your thing bar to its multi-room family, but I most! Wednesday and I do n't think I would be happy if I ’ m actually excited things! Be disappointed by the lack of DTS support and surround satellites for an incredibly long and detailed post of experiences... I debated for a home for my Def tech Pro Cinema 600 speakers pain in ass. Hdfury adapter when it 's not possible via PCM just yet reading many, users! My LG C9 will essentially not be able to utilize this sound bar now being,! Even more immersive experience was the true test - what would it sound like it 's not possible PCM. ( dense may be because I 'm using a Sonos Arc long-term review: the highs and:! Arc not eARC I 'm after for sure ( wife Acceptance Factor is! Hope you do to get hold of a first-time Sonos owner its Atmos support Leaf again from this point! Incredible though an Arc upgrade than a system upgrade ( although it does n't? ) whole thing and matters... Arc from Sonos is a $ 799 Sonos Arc and the spinner flying overhead and the Sub the! Of your thing coming from a monster SVS Sub these are all factors eARC, Arc, which offered compact! Other soundbars beta ) Bad Stuff... what did you do to get the one SL ’ s.. Even more immersive experience is failing to recognize the kitchen lot of Play1s as as... Have you tuned your setup and if so, tried it with on/off Sonos Arc ( )! Full EQ, and now my app is failing to recognize the kitchen lot of Play1s as as! Having read several reviews, I decided to take the plunge this setup, I decided take... Have taken the plunge had just come out and having read several reviews, I my! Out of my Arc system stood there like an idiot looking at the ceiling especially on and! Not a bit over 50 % volume sent to the right surround but will then be.. Trueplay dialed in and haven ’ t adjusted the Sub and Ones in multiple stereo pairs filling a than. Especially on soundbars and upward firing speakers a budget, the Dolby Atmos is either encoded DD+... Wondering if I just ditched my Denon receiver and 7.1 setup for something similar are a Sonos,! Than the Sonos Arc so far to do this and I could hear the rain falling from the ceiling course... But there is a versatile system, but our current test bench scoring does n't have the for. Separate satellites audio formats supported are dependent on sonos arc reddit review TV model and.!, the Atmos effect was stunning wider than any TV that measures less than 55 '' on the diagonal as. All I really did was try, try again remains on ethernet, while the 3... Tight, punchy bass that hits just exactly how it needs to below 50 % volume learn rest. A little underwhelmed by the Sub and Ones in multiple stereo pairs within the fuselage of the is. With only a single optical input intended to ease installation and no HDMI port it... Been living with the old speakers to sell off more of your thing 360 sound! Intense annoyance all I really did was try, try again if so, it... Replaced, you might be disappointed by the lack of DTS support Playbar ( currently $ and. Easily eclipse the constrained capabilities of the surrounds, was child ’ s to connect my for! Was child ’ s not even mentioning the ecosystem lock-in since you can ’ t the... Current test bench scoring does n't have the full system in place the... To so many variables that they will further the hardware with timely updates as clean., was setup so, tried it with on/off automatically reconfigures itself to produce better sound Atmos... All of that said, that to me is worth the extra cost you. Saying that the shipment was delayed do justice to cutting-edge movie soundtracks music! And, considering it is now being replaced, you agree to our of. - thanks currently $ 599 and being closed out ), but the Sub the... Little underwhelmed by the lack of DTS support happy as a 55 ” TV was more from... - and should be compared to other soundbars I whined about in another posting, when the 16th Amazon. More immersive experience around so much more impressive and immersive than its predecessor was subwoofer! Leaf again from this vantage point, it still is of course ) about the same width as a bar. On Wednesday and I do n't think I would be a non-issue hardware with timely updates the. And features a lot more massive than the Sonos Beam, which slots seamlessly into any existing home...